Safety warning regarding electronic device charging

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) has issued a safety warning regarding electronic devices following a laptop fire in the Marr area.

By Kirstie Topp – Local Democracy Reporter

Station Manager Colin Westwood addressed the matter at the Marr Area Committee on Tuesday, March 30 while giving the SFRS Marr Performance Report.

From October 1 to December 31 2020 the SFRS attended 89 incidents in the Marr area including 20 special service incidents, 15 accidental fires and four accidental dwelling fires.

Mr Westwood revealed that the accidental dwelling fires were due to three incidents of unattended cooking and a laptop that caught on fire.

He went on to explain that the laptop was plugged in on charge at the time of the fire and issued a message that residents should not be leaving mobile phones, laptops or other electrical devices on charge all night.

He said

That is an important message especially if you have children who are usually stuck to their phones all of the time. One of the important things to get across is don’t leave your phone on charge overnight, once it’s fully charged take it out and just leave it beside your bed or wherever.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on telegram
Share on whatsapp