Aberdeenshire Council continues to provide free school meal payments direct to families on low incomes who meet certain eligibility criteria.
A payment of £52.50 per child will be paid directly to parents nominated bank accounts by Monday 8 February 2021. This covers the period Monday, February 1 to Sunday, February 21. The payment of £52.50 per child, is comprised of three weeks of free school meals entitlement at £12.50 per week and £5 per week breakfast money. Also, an additional payment of £100 (per eligible child) will be made to support families during this time.
Eligible families already in receipt of Free School meals, do not have to apply for this funding. If you have recently applied for income-based free school meals please be assured that we are dealing with all applications as quickly as possible and we will contact you directly when your application has been processed.
Families who are on a low income but not currently in receipt of Free School Meals can check entitlement by completing this online form.
The current eligibility criteria are listed below. It is also included in the entitlement checker.
Children are eligible for free school meals if their parents (or carers) are in receipt of a qualifying benefit. The qualifying benefits and allowances are:
- Income Support (IS)
- Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
- Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)
- Any income related element of Employment Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (CTC), but not Working Tax Credit (WTC), and have an income of less than £16,105
- Both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with an income of less than £7,330
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit with a monthly take-home pay of less than £610
- If you are aged 16-18 years-old and receive any of the above qualifying benefits in your own right, you can apply for free school meals.
If you are aged 16-18 years-old and receive any of the above qualifying benefits in your own right, you can apply for free school meals.
For more information please visit the Aberdeenshire Council website.