NHS Scotland has launched a new test and protect mobile phone app, “designed to help us protect each other, reduce the spread of coronavirus and avoid further lockdowns”. The app will alert you if you have been in close contact with another app user who tests positive for coronavirus and can help in determining contacts that you may have.
If you are contacted by NHS (test and protect) it will be by phone on a single national telephone number 0800 030 8012
Be aware that scammers are now exploiting this to commit fraud by contacting the general public advising them that they have been in near contact with someone who has tested positive with Coronavirus and as such you must get a test and self- isolate.
Scammer’s are thereafter asking for payments for booking tests or sending out testing kits by post or courier etc.
- in some cases, send a text to let you know that you will be receiving a call from NHS Scotland (if mobile is available)
- call from a single, national telephone number – 0800 030 8012
- always introduce themselves, tell you why they are contacting you and address you by your name
- give you the option to call back the above number to provide reassurance that the service is legitimate
- Be aware that phone numbers can be spoofed. Consider phoning back using a different phone from the one you received the call. The call will be received on your mobile phone, if you are concerned phone back on a landline
- ask you for information other than your movements and the people you have been physically close to
- to phone a premium rate number
- to make a purchase, payment or donation
- for your medical history unrelated to coronavirus
- for your bank details
- for your social media identities or login details, or those of your contacts
- for your passwords or PIN numbers, or to set up any
- for control of your computer, smartphone or tablet, or to download anything
- to visit a website that does not belong to NHS Scotland or the Scottish Government
For further information please go to the NHS Inform website.
Anyone with information can contact Police Scotland on 101, Advice Scotland on 0808 164 6000 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.