The Met Office has issued a Yellow Weather Warning for thunderstorms on Friday & Saturday.
The warning is from 1200 on Friday until 0600 on Saturday and covers most of Scotland and all of the east coast of the UK, it is expected that storms and localised flooding could continue into Saturday evening.
Thursday is expected to be a warm sunny day across the North East but a low-pressure front is expected to move across the UK on Friday bringing with it the chance of torrential and heavy downpours linked to thunderstorms, with the risk of hail, lightning and strong gusty winds around the edges of any thunderstorms.
What to expect
- There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes, hail or strong winds
- Where flooding or lightning strikes occur, there is a chance of delays and some cancellations to train and bus services
- Spray and sudden flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
- There is a small chance that some communities become cut off by flooded roads
- There is a slight chance that power cuts could occur and other services to some homes and businesses could be lost