As Turriff Show weekend approaches and the weather looks set to stay fine we have been speaking to Inspector James Harrison from the Formartine Community Policing Team about the parking restrictions around Turriff during the show.
Inspector Harrison said
There will be temporary no waiting restrictions in force on streets around the Turriff Show ground again this year. These are in place to maintain the flow of traffic and to ensure that there is always access to the showground for Emergency Services.
The parking last year worked very well, with no tickets being issued, however following the event I was made aware that some people had parked in or around Turriff Hospital. You will understand why it is important that access to the hospital is kept clear.
Historically people raised concerns they had been permitted to park on grass verges around Bridgend Terrace and the Sports centre. Police have received complaint from local residents about people parking here so will be enforcing this legislation robustly. It is a specific offence to drive/park other than a road, so parking on the grass will not be permitted.
Concerns were also raised that several ‘no waiting’ cones had been moved which resulted in people being unaware of the temporary waiting restrictions. Police will regularly check the cones placement, but would like to emphasise that if you see any cones on a road, there will be a no waiting restriction in place and you should not park there.
I would strongly urge everyone to use the excellent parking provided at small cost by the show organisers. This year the parking system has again been improved, with an additional road being developed to allow traffic to flow into two parks, while the use of mobile cashiers will again encourage free flow of traffic.
The traffic management system In place has prevented queues when entering and exiting show parking and there will be a disabled badge holders area close to the showground.
Finally I hope everyone has a great time at the show and will keep my fingers crossed for some sunshine.
The following parking restrictions will be in place during Turriff Show this year
- A947 (Station Road, Queen’s Road,Cross Street, Duff Street,Fife Street, Banff Road) – both sides from the town gateway signs at Millmoss to the entrance to the caravan centre.
- B9024 (Bridgend Terrace) – both sides from Station Road to Kinnermit Farm.
- Castlehill – both sides of its entire length.
- Victoria Terrace – both sides of its entire length.
- Clifton Road – both sides of its entire length.
- Crown Street – both sides of its entire length.
- Balmellie Road – both sides of its entire length.
- Bowling Green Road – both sides of its entire length.
- St Congan’s Den – both sides of its entire length.
- St Congan’s Circle – both sides of its entire length.
- Market Street – both sides from Church Street to Forglen Crescent.
- Thorneybank Road – both sides from Bridgend Terrace southwards for 250 metres.
- Bridge of Turriff – both sides of its entire length from Bridgend Terrace.
The restrictions are in place from 00:00 on Sunday 31 July until 18:00 on Monday 1 August.
Car parks for Turriff Show are well signposted on the A947 as you enter Turriff from any direction.