Minute of the Turriff District Community Council held on Monday 8th February, 2016 in Turriff Town House, Municipal Building, High Street, Turriff at 7pm.
Present: Rose Logan (Chair) (RL); Mike Rawlins (Vice Chair) (MR); David Salmon (Secretary) DS; John Smith (Treasurer) (JS); Ian Garden (IG); D Capel (DC); Darren Park (DP), Annette Stephen (AS); Sandra Gray (SG); Cllr Alisan Norrie (AN), Cllr Anne Robertson (AR); Cllr Sandy Duncan (SD); Carol Allan (CA)
In attendance: Nicola Prise Porter (Press); 2 Residents; Calum McDougall (Police Scotland); Michael McKissoch (Police Scotland)
The Chair Welcomed all to the meeting
b) Apologies had been received from Angela MacKay
2. Police Report
The police reported that one person had been reported to the Procurator Fiscal for three housebreakings (pharmacies). Undetected thefts from garden sheds / outbuildings also reported. The message is to keep property secure.
Ongoing issues with driving in the town were discussed. The police were informed that there were issues surrounding the High Street car park and mini roundabout area with vans, cars and tractors. Problems include excessive revving of engines, wheel spins, doughnuts, accelerating hard to car park/ High Street junction. Police advised that anonymous complaints could be made to Crimestoppers. A lack of police presence was highlighted as an issue. AR advised that this was something that could be looked at by community planning and can lessons be learned with action taken at The Square in Oldmeldrum. The councillors agreed to raise the issue with the Police Inspector at their area meeting tomorrow. It was agreed that this was seen as a priority for policing and community planning. It was also reported that the police were not responding to complaints. It was also reported that problems persist at the Academy car park, Turriff Utd car park and Markethill Ind. Est. Littering associated with anti-social car users was also reported as a problem.
4. Approval of Minutes of 11th January 2016
Minutes from the previous meeting had been circulated and amendments noted as follows:
Agenda Item 11, point c Replace “Price” with “Pride”
Raised by JS and seconded by DP subject to above amendment
5. Matters arising
9b) Den development
RL reported that there had been no updates and the Minutes from the meeting on 10th November 2015 had not been received. RL to chase. Littering was raised and a general discussion took place concerning the wider problem. AR reported that a joint approach was required and she would email all services and the community council would be invited to take part. Dog fouling problems also persist. RL reported that Markethill School had taken over the Green Dog Walker Initiative. Lack of enforcement across Aberdeenshire was raised as a concern. AR advised that the public could raise questions for discussion at the area committee meetings and could attend the meeting. DS to write to Area Manager in time for the next meeting on 1st March.
12c) Skate Park;- TASC had now formed a committee and the CC would provide support. Work was expected to start at the skate park in the first week of February but no sign so far but may have been delayed by the weather. Next meeting to be held on 23 February at the Sports Centre @ 7:00 (TBC).
12d) Community Council Constitution;- DS reported that it was expected that there would be an update at the Formartine Community Council Forum on Wednesday 10 February.
13a) Crown Street;- lack of a grit bin had been raised with the council but a response is awaited.
a) Special Landscape Areas;- DS reported that he had
circulated the details for the proposed Deveron Valley candidate SLA. To date no comments had been received by him. If anyone has any comments can they let DS know by 10th February.
b) Garden Competition –RL reported that this would be discussed at the next Gardening Club meeting in March.
c) Caravan Park to Delgaty Castle;- RL reported that she has so far been unable to locate any maps showing a right of way. AN advised that a public right of way lapses after 10 years if not in use.
d) Welcome banners;- DS reported that this has been raised with the council and he had been advised that the manufacturers advise that the banners can only withstand winds up to 30 mph. If the issue cannot be resolved with the manufacturer, there are no obvious sources of funding to replace them.
6. Treasurers Report
JS circulated the financial report for this month. It was
reported that the bill for the Christmas Lights from the electrician was nearly £4000 including checks and the cherry picker.
DS reported that all correspondence received had been circulated.
8. Planning & Infrastructure
MR advised that a planning application had been received for signage at a pet physiotherapy business at Lambtech. No comments were made.
MR stated that the objection to removal of developer obligations recently sent to us for consultation still stood but could still be withdrawn. It was agreed we should continue to object. AR outlined the role of the CC in the consultation process.
RL and MR raised the possibility of funding being available from a windfarm fund.
MR reported that TDDC had not been advised of the date of the Reporter’s visit to Turriff as part of the appeal process for the Duff Street takeaway. AR advised that additional information was provided to the reporter and that costs were awarded against AC for acting unreasonably in refusing the application. It was noted that additional information can be made once an appeal had been made in support of an objection made. General disappointment at the decision was expressed.
9. Local issues
10. Affiliated Groups – Reports
a) Turriff Town Pride Group
JS to circulate minute of meeting. It was reported that the group could do with more volunteers. The Guides had helped with the flower display by the garage.
b) Christmas Lights Committee
A donation for £200 had been received from the RBL. It was noted that some lights need replacing. Lighting in the trees in The Square is being considered for next year.
c) Caravan Park
RL reported that the caravan park would re-open on 18 March, weather permitting. The AGM is on 29/2/16 in the Townhouse at 7:00. Tenders are out for quotes for 5 stances for static caravans.
RL reported that the advert went out last week and she had received one response. She will also contact the school to see if there is any pupil interest. Plan to open for April.
e)Turriff Townhouse Committee
The AGM has been postponed to 22 February and all are welcome to attend. Current balance of £5982. The water supply is not metered at present.
The proposed meeting with Robert and Hazel has not yet taken place. The Turriff & District Ltd AGM is to be held on 23 February at Celebrations at 07:00. To date no response has been received in connection with the “frozen” bank account.
11. Public Events
Table Top Sale at Turiff Town House 20/2/16
Literary Event 5/3/16 at Turriff Town House
MS Coffee Morning 30/4/16 at Royal British Legion
Rotary Club Coffee Morning 19/3/16 at Royal British Legion Tesco Diabetes and Heart Foundation Coffee Morning
5/3/16 at Royal British Legion
CLAN Coffee Morning 4/3/16 at Turriff Town House
12. Corporate Communications
RL reported that the Conversational Café would like to increase the numbers attending (first Tuesday each month 10:00-12:00). Facebook and the website to promote.
Carol Allan was formally co-opted onto the community council
AR reported that AS should have been contacted by a council official reference Erroll Court and she would chase this up.
AS reported that the drains in the Highfield Walk / Hatton Road area need clearing out.
No news on plans to revamp The Square. RL to chase Brian Shand
Damage to grass areas at The Haughs reported. Fence removed when car park enlarged needs to be reinstated.
Gravel covering drains following recent flooding. MR to raise with the council
An electricity bill for £40 had been received for Coo Corner. AR reported that if community use then AC would pay but other users responsible for costs incurred. No written agreement in place. RL to contact Elaine Brown.
AN reported that AC’s call centre number has recently changed to 03456 081201
14. Dates of future meetings
7 March 2016
4 April 2016
9 May 2016
6 June 2016 (AGM)
Meeting closed at 20:48
You can view the full minutes below