Minute of meeting of the Turriff District Community Council held on Monday 11th January, 2016 in Turriff Town House, Municipal Building, High Street, Turriff at 7pm.
Present: Rose Logan (Chair) (RL); Mike Rawlins (Vice Chair) (MR); David Salmon (Secretary) (DS); John Smith (Treasurer) (JS); Ian Garden (IG); D Capel (DC); Darren Park (DP) and Annette Stephen (AS).
In attendance: K Wylie (Press); PC D Will and PC Mackenzie and Angela Mackay, Minute Secretary (AM).
Visitors: C Allan (Tesco)
The Chair welcomed all to the meeting.
Apologies had been received from Cllr Robertson, Cllr Norrie, Cllr Duncan and S Gray.
2. Police Report
The Police report covered period 8th December to 11th January, 2016. Within this period Turriff and District had 23 reported crimes – detected crimes consisted of 1 detected drug crime, several vandalisms including one house break in and one theft.
The Police confirmed that the last weeks had seen them concentrating their services to surrounding areas affected by flooding. They urged all members of the community to lock doors, windows and outbuildings and be vigilant that their property is secure to prevent opportunist thefts.
DS noted that many closed roads did not appear to have appropriate signage informing drivers the road is closed. The Police confirmed that due to the large amount of roads requiring signs it was unfortunate that they had ran out of signage. This could not have been predicted. Turriff Police have requested more signs from Aberdeenshire Council to allow appropriate signage in places were available.
The Police confirmed that patrols had taken place around Markethill Academy and there was no new litter or concerns reported to the police.
4. Approval of minutes of 5 December 2015 meeting
Minutes from the previous meeting had been circulated and amendments noted as follows:
Agenda item 2- Fifth paragraph
“now that there is no longer a tax disc displayed on motor vehicles Cllr Norrie enquired if the police….”
Agenda item 2– 2nd page 1st paragraph
Removal of “AS enquired to the woodlands near the care home which has recently closed in Turriff. This area appears to be a” replaced with Following the closure of the Four Season Care Home AS advised this appears to be a…
Agenda item 13
Hattan replaced as Hatton.
Raised by JS and seconded by MR subject to above amendments.
5 Matters Arising
9a) Turriff Care Home:
RL advised that the premises still to be secured and boarded up – RL confirmed that she would pass this on to Four Seasons for their attention.
9b) Den Development th RL advised that the Minutes from the Den Development Meeting which took place on 10 November 2015 at Turriff Academy with Mark Mitchell are still outstanding. She also advised that the meeting proposed for 22nd January, 2016 has been cancelled future date to be advised. RL to chase.
12b) Beaconsfield Lane – running to St Ninians Church. RL advised that the owner of this road is still to be established. AM advised that new tarmac has been laid and it appeared that work had been carried out on this road. Action closed.
12c) Skate Park – RL advised that the TASC steering group meeting is to be held on 19th January, 2016 at Turriff Academy at 7pm. RL advised that the group will be utilizing the community council bank account until they can open their own account after their Constitution is in place. RL advised that they happy for parents and other youngsters to be more involved and join the steering group.
12d) Community Council Constitution:- currently under review through Scheme of Establishments for Community Councils. Further details of this will be issued in March 2016 to all Community Councils and amended Constitutions to be submitted to Aberdeenshire Council by the end of 2016.
13a) Crown Street; – A concern was raised by a resident about the top of Crown Street being slippy when wet or during icy conditions and requested if possible for anti skid tarmac on the road?
a) Turriff Boating Pond – 2016 Season
Following recent flooding RL confirmed that water had not affected the contents of the boating shed or the shed itself. RL to arrange a meeting with B Shand to discuss the Jetty and water and electrics to the shed for the new season. It was proposed by RL to commence advertising for the Boat Attendant for new season ahead – The Committee agreed.
b) Special Landscapes – to be discussed at February 2016 meeting and retained on the Agenda.
6. Treasurers Report
JS circulated the financial report for this month.
JS also circulated year to date accounts from 1st June 2014 to 31st May, 2016. In addition accounts were circulated from 1st June 2015 to 11th January, 2016.
JS advised that the Men’s Shed coffee morning raised £855.24 and was a great success. Thank you to everyone who attended.
JS advised that the Town House Financial Account had been transferred to the Town House Association and would no longer appear on the Community Councils reports from March, 2016.
DS distributed the second issue of the Project Update from Aberdeen Roads Limited.
8. Planning & Infrastructure
MR confirmed that no applications have been submitted for this period.
MR advised of an update on a planning gain application from Fyvie. An application had been made requesting discharge on the planning gain for affordable housing. The Community Council members agreed that an objection should be submitted in relation to this application and Fyvie Community Council should be copied in regarding Turriff and Districts concerns. Letter to be sent to Elaine Brown for her to forward to the appropriate contacts at Fyvie Community Council. RL and MR to action.
9. Local Issues
MR advised that the resident who raised the concern regarding parking near their home, car parking around the sports centre and next to the petrol station continues. MR advised that a car transporter was witnessed moving the cars around every couple of days and the concern was that the cars are causing a public nuisance, however were these cars in fact being sold from the road or from a local business? Details of the cars registrations are currently collated and will be reported to Police to check on VSN validity. Contact will be made with the proprietor of the local garage as well relevant authorities to establish if the vehicles are being sold without appropriate permissions.
10. Affiliated Groups – Reports
a) Turriff Town Pride Group – AGM takes place on 14th January, 2016 at Turriff Town Hall, all welcome.
b) Christmas Light Switch on Committee – AS advised that Aileen Finlay from The Beauty Rooms in Turriff had held a lucky square competition and had raised £500 for the Christmas Light Switch on Committee. Thank you to Aileen and those that purchased a ticket to help raise funds. This is gratefully received with thanks. AS confirmed that work will be underway to remove the lights when weather improves. In addition, the old lights are currently being reviewed for recycling which could provide money back if they were recycled.
c) Turriff Caravan Park Ltd – Nothing new to report. AGM will take place in March no date has been set as yet.
d) Turriff Boating Pond – Following recent flooding RL confirmed that water had not affected the contents of the boating shed or the shed itself. RL to arrange a meeting with B Shand to discuss the Jetty and water and electrics to the shed for the new season. It was proposed by RL to commence advertising for the Boat Attendant for new season ahead – The Committee agreed.
e) Turriff Town House Association – AGM takes place on 18th January, 2016 at 7pm in Turriff Town Hall – all welcome.
f) Turriff Market – RL advised that an email has been sent to Robert to arrange a meeting to discuss the Market. MR confirmed that a FOI request was submitted to Aberdeenshire Council. Disappointedly no response has been received from Elaine Brown from Aberdeenshire Council. It was agreed that a letter would be sent to Charlie Bruce to confirm his current situation with relation to the Market. RL to action.
11. Public Events
a) Table top sale Town House 23 January 2016 10a.m. -2p.m.
b) AGM Turriff Town House Association 18th January, 2016 7pm
c) AGM Turriff Town Pride 14th January, 2016 at 7pm
Claire Young Area Office Mapping has advised that businesses affected by flooding can contact email@example.com to apply for up to £1500 grant. Further details can be obtained from Elaine directly by emailing her.
Carol Allan, Community Champion from Tesco advised that Tesco were taking donations of blankets, food, electrical equipment and these are being donated to victims of flooding in the surrounding areas. Should members of the public wish to donate, please take these to Tesco Turriff and drop into the cages in the shop. Thank you to those who have already provided donations – Tesco Turriff has already donated 2 full cages of goods.
12. Corporate Communications
Nothing to report.
13. Any Other Competent Business
JS advised that Turriff has successfully held a garden competition for the last 32 years. JS advised that he would like to take a step back in his role of organizing the event and asked that anyone interested please put themselves forward. JS would like to continue to be involved and would help anyone who wishes to take forward the role. The role would be responsible to the organizing and implementation of the competition. Discussions took place to contact relevant gardening clubs in the area to obtain suitable interest.
JS confirmed that Turriff Town House would be hosting Voluntary Arts Week and various pop up book workshops – 5/3/2016, 5/06/2016 and 5/9/2016 – these workshops would look to showcase local writers having a talk about their work and an option to showcase this at the events. More details will be advertised nearer the time.
JS advised the Committee of the two grants which are currently available for applications. – Voluntary Arts Week Microfund
– Citizens Action Grants
The Committee agreed that JS could apply to both of these grants appropriately.
AS has been approached by local residents regarding the right of way between the caravan park which runs to Delgaty Castle. Residents would like to use this as a path for walks or for running and would like this cleared for use. RL to action.
AS advised that she has been contacted by worried residents relating to the Errol Court garage demolitions. Residents advised that some had been contacted about the works to be carried out, new plans given and these plans highlighted concerns for them in relation to change in access to their properties as well as the potential for the playpark to be altered or dug up. AS showed the plan given and photographs taken of the area. Reference was made to the Turriff and District Community Council Minutes in September, Agenda item 4j states “it was confirmed that the playpark area would not be affected.” AS to contact Councillors to confirm the works to be undertaken and if the new plans are accurate.
MR discussed the Welcome to Turriff posters which have been heavily damaged and are in a terrible state. It was agreed that DS to contact Mark Mitchell requesting their removal and a suitable more durable replacement sought.
14. Dates of future meetings
It was agreed that the next meeting would take place on: Monday 1st February, 2016, Turriff Town House (Municipal Building) at 7pm.
Subsequent meetings are to be held on:
Monday 7th March, 2016
Monday 4th April, 2016
Monday 9th May, 2016
Monday 6th June, 2016 (AGM)
Meeting closed at 20:27
You can download a PDF of the minutes using the link below.