Minute of meeting of the Turriff District Community Council held on Monday 14th September, 2015 in Turriff Town House, Municipal Building, High Street, Turriff at 7pm.
Present: Rose Logan (Chair) (RL); Mike Rawlins (Vice Chair) (MR); David Salmon (Secretary) (DS); John Smith (Treasurer) (JS); Annette Stephen (AS) and Mr D Copel (DC).
In attendance: J Mackie (Press); Cllr A Norrie; Cllr A Robertson; Cllr A Duncan (apologies noted); PC Callum; PC Kenny; Blair Cairns; Dorothy Forbes and Angela Mackay, Minute Secretary (AM).
Visitors: Sandra Gray; Blair Cairns and Dorothy Forbes.
The Chair welcomed all to the meeting introducing the new Minute Secretary Angela Mackay.
Apologies had been received from Cllr A Duncan, I Garden and D Park.
Local Interest Information
There have been 22 crimes reported in the Turriff area.
Of community interest these include: two detected and two undetected drug related incidents, two undetected thefts, one detected speeding offence, one detected and one undetected assaults and two detected and undetected abuse crimes.
Details of Actions in Response to Local Priorities
Road Crime and Road Safety have been prioritized including work in progress towards monitoring vehicles and anti-social behavior. It was questioned whether CCTV in the Town Centre would assist with anti-social behaviour?
Cllr Robertson advised that the monitoring of such CCTV would fall to Police Scotland, however Area Managers could be consulted as to investigate the communities view of having CCTV in the centre or if there is a need for CCTV.
Local Police Sergeant will be contacting Tesco to discuss further CCTV issues with vehicles using the carpark to target littering and the anti-social behavior.
Turriff Business Centre area seems to have settled down with littering and boy racers since the erection of bollards.
Discussions took place regarding mobile CCTV units targeting anti-social behaviour. Cllr Robertson advised that there are mobile CCTV units which are used to target school areas. It may be possible to utilize these around the areas of concern within the town. In relation to permanent CCTV this wouldn’t be a decision the Turriff and District Council can make without full consultation with the community. Consideration would need to be made towards the monitoring of a permanent CCTV as well as a budget for this. In addition the public would need to be made aware of a proposal of a permanent CCTV for consultation.
Dorothy Forbes, a local resident advised the meeting that she has written to the Police Sergeant and had no response to her complaints. She advised that Duff Street was used as a race track by boy racers and that she felt that more needed to be done. PC Callum asked for Mrs Forbes details so that he may ask the Sergeant to respond.
RL asked what the ruling was about cars parking at all angles in the main car park at night and in some instances a safety hazard. It was advised that the Police will happily look to pursue matters where the law is broken, by way of a warning, uplifting vehicles or issuing fines to offenders.
Following the previous meeting Cllr Norrie had raised concern with the sergeant regarding parking issues at the junction of Market Street/Beaconsfield Street and Baden Powell Road. PC Callum advised wasn’t aware that there had been an issue. DS advised that the school road seems to be an issue around school drop off and pick up times. Also raised previously was cars parked on the pavement in the Square at the top of the ‘No Parking’ sign. PC Callum advised that this concern will be brought up with the Sergeant.
Cllr Robertson asked if operation CEDAR (Challenge, Educate, Detect and Reduce) could incorporate Turriff? PC Callum advised that they are currently targeting Oldmeldrum and recently Banff. He didn’t feel that there was any reason why Turriff couldn’t be incorporated. It was advised that operation CEDAR was to educate drivers and enforce measures to prevent anti-social behaviour and promote road safety.
Police Scotland continues to encourage and remind householders to be mindful of their home security and that of neighbours. Opportunist thieves continue to target the Aberdeenshire Area – should you have any concerns please contact 111 or in an emergency 999.
Blair Cairns joined the meeting to discuss Turriff Skate Park shut since the start of July as it was condemned due to wear and tear. He advised a meeting be held on 1st October, 2015 at 18:30 at The Gateway Centre. A Committee will be formed to run and look after the Skate Park to prevent such closures happening in the future. In addition the new Committee will look the possibility of expansion of the area by way of applying for grant funds from Lottery Grant or the Sports Scotland Fund.
Discussions took place to the notices around the area of the closure.
Blair hoped for a good turnout at the next meeting and he will advertise by way of posters at least 2 weeks prior. Details passed to the Advertiser. RL thanked Blair for attending the meeting.
Dorothy Forbes commented she was pleased to note the application for a food outlet at the toilet building had been refused and welcomed the possibility of a house at this location. She asked if this house at a future date could become a takeaway.
Cllr Robertson advised that nothing can be done to stop new planning applications being submitted, however these would require approval and this would then be subject to the relevant decision at that time.
3. Approval of Minutes of 1st June 2015
RL welcomed Sandra Gray formally joining the Committee as a co-opted member.
Minutes from the previous meeting had been circulated and taken to be an accurate record of the proceedings. Raised by RL and seconded by AS.
4. Matters Arising
4g) Fence top of Den (Arch along Victoria Terrace) JS to report back to group: Cllr Robertson suggested writing to to Brian Shand in relation to this matter. DS agreed to write to Brian Shand.
4j) Errol Court Garages: Following a meeting with garage users, taking their views on board the proposal were changed. Some garages are to remain. 10 housing units to be built, the works to be completed by March 2017. It was confirmed that the playpark area would not be affected.
9a) Turriff Cemetery –no update on the new cemetery.
JS advised he had received a letter which highlighted concerns about tree roots undermining a wall within the current cemetery. A copy of the letter to be forwarded to Landscape Services for their comment. MR advised he had received a complaint regarding the grounds of the cemetary which highlighted that the grass in parts was cut one day, the remaining bits strimmed the next leaving an uneven cut. Pictures supplied were circulated and to be included with letter to landscape services.
9b) Haughs/Den: The Haugh’s Summit meeting, chaired by Formartine Area Project Manager, Mark Mitchell, was held on 8th September and attended by representatives from a wide range of groups and local councillors. By working closely with Turriff Academy and local primary Schools various suggestions had been submitted. Those attending the meeting also gave their suggestions, all of which will be collated by Mark and his team and details forwarded in the near future. A steering group is likely to be formed to take these ideas forward.
9d) Bridge at Millmoss – Update: RL advised that following a visit from Council Officers the bridge should be closed on health and safety grounds. The owner was contacted with information on a funding repair scheme but has since advised that the bridge is to be removed.
10a) Turriff Market
RL advised that there will be no market this month. Last two months have had unforeseen issues, July saw the closure of Balmellie Street and August saw traffic lights and roadworks at the Royal British Legion. It is with great regret that the Market will not go ahead this month. The Turriff Business Association meets on 23rd September, 2015 and in conjunction with other business an action plan on the Market will be discussed to try and encourage the stallholders to return to Turriff.
11a) Smell – Wellfields Crescent/Westbrae: SEPA have been contacted and Ben was to discuss this further. Cllr Robertson advised that an email had been picked up and Officers had investigated the drains in that area. Committee to monitor the situation.
12a) Sim Garden- May Day – Highlighted to Turriff Business Association: Completed
12e) Developer Obligation – project for new Primary School: Cllr Norrie advised that as part of the Planning Obligation in Formartine Council the pockets for art was raised. It was discussed within Formartine to put together to look at the area of the Haughs or the new school. Cllr Norrie advised that around £2500 was allocated to Turriff for Art projects and that the stakeholders of the new school had raised the possibility of using some of this funding for the new school. Cllr Robertson raised that the Haughs Redevelopment and the Community Council would like to know further about this and have an input going forward.
12f) Car park – Green spaces: these are no longer in use and to be repainted white. JS raised that there is no mention on the parking sign the charge of £20 when you overstay the 2 hours allocated in free parking. Cllr Norrie to review the sign for any necessary amendments.
It was advised that the cark park provides 2 hours free parking, after which period drivers are expected to leave the carpark and use parking facilities elsewhere. No day passes were available for use in Turriff Car Park. The new parking systems throughout Formartine should be operational by the end of the month. Those users with season tickets may receive an extension to their pass as others have not been charged.
5. Treasurers Report
JS circulated the financial report for this month. JS advised that the usual CC administrative grant was expected in the near future.
RL advised that all correspondence has been covered.
7. Planning & Infrastructure
RL confirmed that all correspondence had already been circulated.
JS congratulated MR on the good job he made at getting information regarding planning and infrastructure circulated to all in the community.
a) Turriff Caravan Park
RL explained the history of the Turriff Caravan Park for the purpose of those new to the Committee. RL advised that 5 new static caravan points have been applied for and approved by Planning. Currently there are 9 on the waiting list, the new sites will allow for those on the waiting list to be accommodated with stances hopefully in full by March 2016.
b) Turriff Town House/Municipal Building
JS advised that the Town House is very busy and he hopes this will continue to improve in the future. Stage 2 application has been submitted for consideration. Currently in talks with the Gateway Centre on how to get youth groups to Town House. Steadily making progress on the improvement of the Town House- painting the toilets and the entrance hall, plastering where needed. Disabled access application has been made and submitted. JS advised that there are no less than 40 different groups using the Town House with very little advertising. Board outside is being utilized. JS urged that more members are welcome to join the Committee.
Dorothy Forbes advised the Committee of her recent witness and report to the Council of the state of the Town House early Wednesday morning. Dorothy Forbes advised that the Council were quick to pressure wash the area and clean the rubbish that had been left. Mrs Forbes suggested a freshen up of the outside of the building also in particular the chairs outside.
c) Boating Pond
RL explained the history of the Turriff Boating Pond for the purpose of those new to the Committee. RL advised that due to ill health the operative of the Boating pond resigned in May/June. Advertising the post saw only 2 applicants; 2 Turriff Academy students.
Their appointment sought the supervision of a member of the Committee and with the exception of bad weather the boats were opened from 12-5pm daily. A meeting was carried out with the new operatives to assess what required addressing for next season:
1. Running water and electricity to the site
2. Jetty repair
3. 2 people are required to take out boats and set up
4. Weed and mud silt cleaning when water low
5. Repair to shed
6. Pipe blockage – special thanks to Brian Shand, Landscape Services for their
approval to go ahead and unblock pipe from burn to pond inlet and Pat Gaul, a Turriff Show member, for providing a digger and assistance when needed. Thank you.
d) Turriff Town Pride
JS advised the Committee of the baskets and tubs around the Town and how they will soon be removed for the winter. JS confirmed that there had been a number of generous donations and fundraising and how gratefully received these had been. JS thanked the small committee on their hard work.
e) Christmas Light Committee
AS advised that a fundraiser Coffee Morning was being held at the Royal British Legion on Saturday 19th September from 10-12am. It was confirmed that necessary arrangements for the light switch on is in place and the date for the switch on will be 26th November, 2015. This year the bauble competition with schools will feature and in addition the Committee looks to purchase new Christmas lights this year.
9. Local Issues
9a) Turriff Care Home: DS advised that Turriff Care Home will close on Friday. A response has been received from Elidh Whiteford MP advising on the situation. A further meeting will be held on 23rd September, 2015 with the Care Committee. RL asked the Councillors if there anything else that the Community Council can do in this situation. Cllr Norrie explained Aberdeenshire Council paid for services and that the Council were not in a position to take over the management of the facility. Forward planning had been undertaken by the Council with the 60 new beds opening in Inverurie and Stonehaven recently. This saw many of the Turriff Care Home patients accommodated in Inverurie.
Cllr Norrie advised that Errol Court was also not a suitable site and that the needs of a care home were assessed and at that time Turriff was well serviced. Notice was formally served on Monday at 4pm advising that the Turriff Care Home would close.
Cllr Norrie mentioned the public meeting held on 1st July and congratulated the Facilitator in their efforts to accommodate the people who attended. In addition she thanked Janice McIntosh for a thorough Minute of the Meeting.
JS advised the Committee that an important decision had been passed in the European Union in relation to travel time paid, he expressed how this may have a huge implication on Aberdeenshire Council due to the shires vast expanse.
10. Public Events
a) Turriff Art Show – Saturday 12th – Friday 18th September
b) Turriff Lights Committee Coffee Morning – Saturday 19th September – 9am – 12 noon (Royal British Legion, Turriff)
c) Crafts/Indoor Car Boots Sales – Saturday 19th September 10am – 2pm
11. Corporate Communications
MR had been contacted in relation to the condition of the bins at the Football Pitch. The bins were left overflowed with rubbish and dog litter was left in the sand long jump pitch area rather than disposed of correctly.
12. Any Other Competent Business
JS asked if Aberdeenshire Council had commenced action relating to the current situation with refugees? Cllr Robertson advised that Aberdeenshire Council had an article in the Press and Journal last week. COSLA sited and 32 local authorities were taking necessary action to be ready if called upon.
DS advised the Committee that he has started looking at the application for a Community Defibrillator. Discussions took place as to the facilities in Banff/Macduff and that it may be of benefit to ask what provision they held. Press asked what provision was currently held in Turriff. DS advised that the Fire Service, Royal British Legion, Dentist, Health Centre hold but the town was looking at 24 hour service.
D Capel enquired to the ownership of land near his home. Cllr Norrie and Robertson agreed to look into this.
MR advised that he had received an email from Green Energy in relation to funding for Turriff by two local windfarms. This sees the provision of funding for art projects within the community. MR to obtain further information on the application process for this funding and report back to Committee.
Cllr Norrie updated on Julys AOCB – 12a) The road markings Crown Street/Balmellie Road – Now refreshed. 12c) Speed signs and Turriff Sign at Findon – still outstanding.
Cllr Robertson discussed the email circulated to the Committee regarding the proposal of a 4th Councillor in Turriff and District Ward following a decision made by the Boundary Commission. It sees the Boundaries adjusted to house Methlick within Ward 7. Cllr Robertson reiterated that the position of Councillors of Ward 7 was to ensure that the views and concerns of the people were pushed forward and promoted and that they will continue to serve the members. Cllr Robertson advised that consultation is sought until 22nd September where members can put forward their views on the proposed changes.
Cllr Norrie asked for an update following the meeting held in July to discuss improvements in the Square. A formal request will be submitted to the Delgaty Castle regarding the return of the fountain to the Square.
Cllr Norrie advised that the Formartine Area Committee is to be held in the Baden Powell Centre Turriff on 22nd September, 2015 at 9.45am. These meetings are open to the public and she encouraged members to come and see what happens.
19. Dates of future meetings
It was agreed that the next meeting would take place on:
Monday 5th October, 2015, Turriff Town House (Municipal Building) at 7pm.
Subsequent meetings are to be held on:
- Monday 2nd November, 2015
- Monday 7th December, 2015
- Monday 11th January, 2016
- Monday 1st February, 2016
- Monday 7th March, 2016
- Monday 4th April, 2016
- Monday 9th May, 2016
- Monday 6th June, 2016 (AGM)
Meeting closed at 21:08.
You can download a PDF of the minutes using the link below