Aberdeenshire Council Head of Roads and Landscape Services, Philip McKay, has issued a statement on the current resurfacing work at the recently resurfaced area of the A947 at Hatton.
The road was resurfaced in August, remember the A947 roadworks chaos because the wrong machines were delivered to the site in the morning and the council decided to carry on working beyond the scheduled reopening time to catch up? Well this section of road now needs to be resurfaced again because of a poor surface which allows rain water to stand on the carriageway. 70% of the previously laid road surface is being replaced currently with the remaining 30% scheduled for resurfacing in 2016.
In his statement Mr MaKay said
Remedial works are taking place to improve the surface quality of a section of the A947, south of Turriff. We are also addressing a minor issue regarding standing water on the carriageway.
Our roads team will carry out the work during off-peak hours under a convoy system, to protect the workforce and avoid a road closure. A traffic light system may also be used whilst the new road surface cools.
The work will be carried out this week, subject to weather conditions, and we apologise for any inconvenience they may cause.
We have been told that this work was a council contract and Aberdeenshire Council are footing the bill for the resurfacing of the poor quality resurfacing work. The initial cost of the works in August was put at around £125,000 by Aberdeenshire Council so we can only assume that a similar amount is being spent on putting the work right.