Minutes of Turriff & District Community Council Meeting Monday 1 June 2015, Turriff Town House
PRESENT: J Smith (Treas), R Logan (Past Sec), J McIntosh (Min Sec), D Salmon, R Munro, A Stephen, D McKenzie, I Garden, M Rawlins.
APOLOGIES: B Ewen, D Park, D Capel.
IN ATTENDANCE: N Prise-Porter (Press), Cllr A Norrie, Cllr A Duncan, PC R McDonald.
a) Local Interest Information
Information collated between 01 May 2015 and 01 June 2015
The following are reported incidents in the area of Turriff and district, Fyvie and Auchterless.
The crime figures this month are low with only 17 reported crimes.
Of community interest these include: Two detected vandalisms, three thefts which include a detected shoplifting, an undetected theft of fuel and a further undetected theft from a rural area. There were also six disorder type reports during this period, three detected and three undetected and three road traffic offences.
b) Feedback on Police in Actions in Response to Matters Raised at the Previous Meeting.
The local Policing team are continuing to target antisocial behaviour and road traffic offending robustly. There have been dedicated patrols in the town to tackle the problem of youth disorder. We will continue to be aiming to reduce crime through high visible patrols and prevent and detect crime utilising plain clothes officers also. We will carry on targeting the following crimes: Vandalism, underage drinking, youth annoyance and antisocial behaviour.
c) Details of Actions in Response to Local Priorities.
Two motorists have been charged for road traffic offences since the last meeting. This has included one driver for careless driving and one for exceeding 30MPH in the town centre.
This has been a direct result of officers carrying out mobile patrols in the town, and using the speed gun equipment.
d) Ongoing Local/Forcewide Engagement Activities
Police Scotland continue to encourage householders to secure their property, outbuilding’s, vehicles and property of value at all times, in an effort to prevent opportunist thefts that continue to occur within Formartine. Opportunist thieves continue to target the Aberdeenshire area and favour insecure dwellings and vehicles.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES OF APRIL 2015 MEETING
Proposed by J Smith Seconded by D Salmon
4. MATTERS ARISING (27 April minutes)
4g Fence top of Den – John to check current situation.
4i Notice Board – This has been fixed and Rose has keys.
4j Erroll Court Garages – Cllr Norrie and Cllr Duncan did not attend the last area
meeting. It had been suggested all the garages be demolished. Cllr Robertson had asked for more information to be provided, ie where would current tenants be moved to? To confirm what Aberdeenshire Council plans for the garages. John and David to write to Elaine Brown with TDCC objections to garages being demolished.
9a Turriff Cemetery – The councillors have been asked to be notified of any future plans. Nothing has appeared on planning lists as yet.
9b Haughs Den – To follow up on this as Ben was discussing with Brian Shand.
9d Bridge at Millmoss – Rose to check progress. Cllr Norrie received letter from
Elaine Brown on topic and will forward to Rose.
10a Farmers Market – Relaunch was on May Day and was then held again on 16
May. Some of stall holders thought 16 May was a misprint as so close to the relaunch. Turriff Academy Global Rock group still held a fundraising event at the coo on the 16th. Rose to speak with Robert Stephen with regards future markets. Charlie Bruce has access to one of the bank accounts. Still to confirm who has the other bank account and what is to happen with the money in the account. To arrange another meeting to discuss where money from stall holders is being banked and to get all the money into one bank account.
11a Smell at Westburn Road – to confirm if been fixed. Ben was to discuss with SEPA.
12a Questionaire – John sent this in. They want to hold a forum to decide what the role is of Community Councils. TDCC do not have a role as such, unlike other Community Councils. John went over results of questionnaires received. TDCC would like to have a representative on the board.
5. TREASURERS REPORT
As per AGM minutes.
This has all been emailed to everyone.
7. PLANNING AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Weekly lists have been emailed to everyone. No issues raised.
Rose to invite Darren Ross (Planning Officer) to the September meeting to explain process and role the Community Council can have regarding planning applications.
It was suggested someone take on the role of reading the weekly Planning lists before sending round to everyone. They would highlight any issues that need to be raised. Mike Rawlins agreed to do this.
8. REPORTS ON COMMITTEES
a) Caravan Park – Have submitted a planning application for 5 new static caravan points. New worktops have been put in the ladies showers. The office and shower building have been cleaned. To discuss vacancies on the committee at the next meeting in July.
b) Turriff Town House (Municipal Building) – A new way of booking lets is being worked on. A submission date for stage 2 of the application has been agreed. John to arrange a meeting with Elaine Brown before he sends in the application to the area committee. Currently in talks with the Gateway Centre on how to get youth groups in to Town House. Are currently in the process of getting plans drawn up for disabled access and disabled toilets as well as a change of use from an office to a community venue.
c) Boating Pond – Rose has not heard from Michael how the first month has been. To look into getting covers for the boats when they are left tied up outside overnight to keep them dry. To look into the possibility of getting water and electric at the boat shed. Ben was speaking to Brian Shand about this. It was suggested they speak to Ian Hendry on the possibility of getting adult life jackets from oil companies.
d) Turriff Town Pride – On Sunday 14 June the hanging baskets are to be put up around the town. Then troughs and tubs will be filled over the following few days. Plants will be ready on 10 June for collection from Aberdeenshire Council.
9. LOCAL ISSUES
10. PUBLIC EVENTS
Farmers market on Saturday 20 June.
11. CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS
a) Facebook/Twitter –
a) It was raised by Aberdeenshire carers that on May Day, there was only one way in and out to Sim Gardens, due to the one way street out being blocked off in the Square. Rose is to highlight this at the next Business Association meeting.
b) The road markings at the bottom of Crown Street and along the corner on to Balmellie Road are missing in some places.
c) It was asked if the speed signs out Ardinn Road have been moved along with the Turriff Sign. Cllr Norrie to check.
d) At the junction of Market Street and Balmellie Street there is vehicles parking at the very end of the street, making it difficult to see when going in or out the street. This is also the case at the junction of Market Street just past Baden Powell Road during school drop off and pick up making it single file traffic.
e) Formartine Developer Obligations – They no longer collect monies for this fund, so therefore there are lots of small balances outstanding for different areas. These have been combined to make more worthwhile amounts. It has been suggested that the fund for Turriff area could be used to commission something for the new primary school in Turriff and to get the children involved. Cllr Norrie to find out whom commissions artist for the project. To also use Turriff District fund towards the Haughs. TDCC would like to have some say in what is proposed for The Haughs.
f) Car park at the back of the Town Hall still have green spaces and some people assume these are still free and do not need ticket for being there two hours for free. To see about getting them being made white. Cllr Norrie to ask where income received from car parks is used. It was asked if it was possible to get a ticket to allow users of the Town House to get to park for longer at a cheaper rate, as currently after the two free hours it is a fixed charge of £20.
13. Date of next meeting – Monday 7 September 2015 at 7pm.
Turriff Town House (Municipal Building), High Street, Turriff – (Hutcheon Chamber).
You can download a PDF of the minutes using the link below