TURRIFF& DISTRICT COMMUNITY COUNCIL
Incorporating Turriff Town Pride Group
Chairman: Ben Ewen
Secretary: Bill Moultrie
Minutes of Turriff & District Community Council Meeting
Monday 6 April 2015, Turriff Town House
1. PRESENT: : B Ewen (Chair), J Smith (Treas), R Munro B Moultrie (Sec), R Logan (Past Sec), D McKenzie,
J McIntosh (Min Sec), A Stephen, D Capel, D Park.
APOLOGIES, L Mackie (police)
IN ATTENDANCE: J Mackie (Press), D Salmon, Cllr A Norrie, Cllr A Duncan, PC Scott and PC Alastair MacHardy.
Ben welcomed everyone to the meeting.
2. POLICE REPORT
a) Local Interest Information
Information collated between 1 March and 2 April 2015
The following are reported incidents in the area of Turriff and district this month. The crime figures this month 28 reported crimes. There have been no theft by house breakings recorded this month. Of community interest the recorded crimes include:
Detected (9) 3 x drugs possession, 2 x speeding motorists in built up areas, 2 assaults, 1 theft by shop lifting.
Undetected enquiries ongoing (16).
9 Vandalisms (in Turriff), possibly linked to antisocial behaviour (see further information)
4 Road Traffic Offences
2 Theft by shoplifting
1 Theft of Trailer
b) Feedback on Police Actions In reponse to Matters Raised at Previous Meeting
The previous meeting was not attended by Police.
c) Details of Actions In Response to Local Priorities
It has been brought to Police attention through reported crimes and intelligence that there may be an emerging problem with youths in the Town Centre of Turriff during evenings and weekends. This is being looked into by Police and a robust Policing attitude is being taken when any crimes are reported and offenders are identified. This weekend Police in Turriff are running an antisocial Behaviour Operation. This will consist of dedicated patrols in the town centre to tackle the problem of youth disorder. We will be aiming to reduce crime through high visible patrols and prevent and detect crime utilising plain clothes officers also. We will be targeting the following crimes: Vandalism, underage drinking, youth annoyance and antisocial behaviour. The results of this will be known prior to Monday’s meeting.
d) Ongoing Local/Forcewide Engagement Activities
One other relevant matter to bring to your attention is that there have been reports of moving or temporarily stationary attended vehicles being targeted by opportunist thieves. Theives may try passenger doors whilst vehicles are stopped at traffic lights or junctions with a view to quickly stealing items such as a handbag from within. At the moment we have one reported suspicious incident in the Turriff area but on this occasion no property was stolen. One obvious way to prevent this is to have vehicle doors locked whilst the car is stopped in these circumstances.
e) The issue of trial bikes late at night up beside Slackadale Gardens was raised. The police asked that people phone so can deal with complaint at time.
f) The amount of rubbish at the Business centre was raised again, as seems to be on the increase again. Along with the amount of youths parked in cars in the evenings. Police will investigate this. Dolina to check if car park is privately owned.
g) PC MacHardy said he would be interested in setting up a meeting with member of TDCC and a Councillor to discuss issues in area. Would also look at what resources and funding may be available to draw up a dossier to put forward to Aberdeenshire Council. To brief Insp Harrison as he part of ‘Making It Real’ committee.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES OF FEBRUARY MEETING
To re word points 12d and 12e.
Proposed by A Stephen
Seconded by D Salmon
4. MATTERS ARISING (March minutes)
4a Deveron Road – Cllr Norrie not heard any new information
4b Disabled Parking at Schoolhill – Cllr Norrie not heard any new information.
4c Shielburn Turbine Project – Rose received reply from company and was told that we should not have received original email.
4d Streetlights – Cllr Norrie not heard any new information.
4e Hustings – Posters have been put up around the town. To advertise in the Advertiser. Four parties have noted interest in attending – Labour, Conservative, SNP and Liberal Democrats. To keep eye out for any others. Tom Mcallion has agreed to be moderator. John Smith is to draw up protocol and will issue to be checked.
4f Old Paint Shop Castlehill – Cllr Norrie has not seen anything in planning regarding the building. Cllr Norrie to report back about the building state and no planning being raised.
4g Fence top of Den – Ben has not heard back from Brian Shand regards this.
4h Community Council Funding Questionnaire – John went over questions and what was asked. He filled in option to go with rate per head within area.
4i Availability of Minutes – The notice board outside has fallen down, currently waiting for it to be reinstated by the Company who supplied it. Will put in the minutes once repaired.
4j Erroll Court Garages – Cllr Norrie is aware tenants of the garages have received a letter.
6a Green dog Walker Scheme – Bill met with the dog warden Jennifer Senior and received the starter pack. Bill explained what the scheme involved. Bill suggested having a table at the monthly table top sale in the Town Hall (Municipal Building). It was noted that Delgatie woods do not have any dog bins as yet. Asked the Advertiser to promote the scheme.
5. TREASURERS REPORT
John Distributed copies and went over the incomings and outgoings of the bank. He highlighted that in the General bank account £1000.00 is allocated for the town Orderly and £1500.00 is for Turriff Town Pride. John highlighted the accounts to be in for the end of May and did not anticipate any problems in doing this.
All relevant correspondence received had been circulated to members via e-mail.
Two applications have been received from the Licensing Board. One from the Polish shop on Deveron Road applying to sell alcohol and the second from The Fife Arms in the square asking to extend to the new restaurant extension. The reply date was 6 April which has now passed.
7. PLANNING AND INFRASTRUCTURE
All weekly reports had been circulated to CC members with no adverse comments being highlighted.
8. REPORTS ON COMMITTEES
a) Caravan Park – It has been open for two weeks and no problems have been reported.
b) Turriff Town House (Municipal Building) – They had a meeting last Thursday. The new Constitution was agreed. John is to send in for the Licence. Bill and John are still working through the Business plan. The next meeting is on 23 April.
c) Boating Pond – An advert was placed for an operator, but no replies were received. Last years operator has expressed an interest. Ben will meet with him and discuss further to see if interested.
d) Turriff Town Pride – Ben resigned as Chairperson at the recent AGM. He gave an explanation as to why. They are looking for more helpers to fill baskets/tubs. Have approached different groups but had no interest.
9. LOCAL ISSUES
a) Turriff Cemetery – Cllr Norrie not heard anything further.
b) Haughs/Den – The area in front of the hut is due to get work done,
c) New Primary School Update – The plans came in front of the Formartine Committee and have been passed. The ownership of land is nearly completed. A consultation is to be held to discusss the current schools closure on 20 May at the Primary school.
d) Bridge at Millmoss – This is not included as a core path. Mr Maxwell regarding repairs of the bridge, stays the same as previously – if no one helps him with repairs then it won’t get repaired and will be pulled down if gets too dangerous. It was suggested Ben to get in contact with Area Manager and ask what route the Community Council can take regarding any available funding (ie the common good fund). To also ask if it can be adopted as a core path.
10. PUBLIC EVENTS
a) Farmers/Turra Market – Rose and Ben met with Robert Stephen to discuss merger of Community Council and Turriff Business Assoc. to run the Market. One member of Robert’s staff is happy to set up market on day. £2000.00 has been received from Aberdeenshire Council to help re-establish the market. The plan is to relaunch the Turra Market on May Day and then every third Saturday of the month therafter, the first one being 16th May. The Silver band will be performing on May Day at the Turra Coo and there will either be a craft sale or table top sale in the Town Hall. There is a meeting on 22 April to finalise plans for May Day/ market.
To check what has happened with the old bank accounts and what money is in them.
11. CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS
a) Facebook/Twitter – Dog fouling reports were again received and TDCC seem to be getting the brunt of it.
a) Garden Competition – This is to be judged on Tuesday 3 July by Mr & Mrs Simpson. Beedies Hardware have sponsored the competition for the last ten years. It is normal for the Chairperson to approach them to ask if they will again this year. Also need people to enter the competition, to advertise in the paper and on Facebook. Entry form will be available from the Library and Beedies Hardware. Will also need to get the trophies back from last years winners.
b) Membership of TDCC – It was asked if anyone is due to step down and therefore will need to reapply. Co-opted members are only allowed to serve for one year, so will need to apply if decide to become a member. Secretary to check who is due to step down this year.
c) Mercat Cross repairs – It was asked if repairs to gouge to the stonework had been done? Cllr Norrie to check with Shaun Norman.
d) Tree felling Foggie Road – Due to the amount of trees being cut down out the Foggie road, will this cause problems such as landslides etc in the years to come as the tree routes rot away. Cllr Duncan to enquire as to what to happen here, and if new trees are due to be planted.
e) Area Committee Budget – There is a top up fund available and Elaine Brown, Area Manager Formartine has asked that any interested groups should apply by November/December 2015 so money can be allocated by the end March 2016.
f) Road Maintenance Plans. – A lot of repairs are due to be done. Can people make Council aware of any pot holes.
g) Planning Department – They will be at Towie House on the first Wednesday of the month in the afternoon. You need to phone Ellon to make an appointment first on 01358 726 429
h) Park Smart Scheme – This is aimed at improving better and safer parking around schools in the area. Letters from the police have been issued to parents.
i) Ward Policing Plans – Community Councils are being asked to be fed in about litter/dog fouling/speeding etc.
j) Electoral Commisson – They have suggested that two more councillors are required in Aberdeenshire for the elections in 2017. It has been suggested this may be for Turriff & district and Garioch.
13. Date of next meeting – Monday 27th April 2015 at 7pm.
Turriff Town House (Municipal Building), High Street, Turriff – (Hutcheon Chamber).
You can download a copy of the minutes using the link below