Minute of meeting of the Turriff District Community Council held on Monday 4 April, 2016 in Turriff Town House, Municipal Building, High Street, Turriff at 7pm.
Present: Rose Logan (Chair) (RL); Mike Rawlins (Vice-Chair) (MR); David Salmon (Secretary) (DS); John Smith (Treasurer) (JS); Annette Stephen (AS); Carol Allan (CA); Darren Park (DP) and Cllr A Norrie (AN)
In attendance: N Prise-Porter (Press); PC J Drennan, George Wight, Cally Wight and Angela Mackay, Minute Secretary (AM).
Visitors: Elaine Brown and 1 Resident
The Chair welcomed all to the meeting.
b) Apologies had been received from Sandra Gray, Ian Garden, Cllr A Robertson and Cllr S Duncan.
2. Police Report
The Police report covered period 6 March to 4 April, 2016. Within this period Turriff and District had 50 reported crimes. 24 of these crimes were detected crimes and of community interest these included:
Detected (12) of community interest:
5 x road traffic offences
2 x assaults (alcohol related)
1 x possession of drugs
1 x Intended theft in premises.
Undetected (3 of community interest)
1 x Theft of farm equipment (rural)
2 x Vandalisms
1 x Theft of logs (rural)
Anyone with further information regarding these crimes please contact Police Scotland on 101.
In the March meeting the main complaint being highlighted was the continued antisocial driving complaints in Turriff. Police continue to carry out patrols and encourage residents to report the registration and incident to 101. Police Officers in Turriff conducted patrols which lead to 8 incidents of antisocial driving/behaviour being detected. 6 anti-social driving warnings issued (first time warnings); 1 male reported for careless driving and 1 ticket issued for noise pollution (vehicle related). Police are still being vigilant and working on this by carrying out patrols. Anyone with further information please contact Police Scotland on 101.
Police are finding a number of motorists parked on pedestrian crossings. This is unacceptable and an obvious risk to public safety. In Turriff we are fortunate to have ample parking opportunities. Any motorist found parking on the controlled area of a crossing faces a £100 fine and 3 penalty points on their driving license. Drivers are asked to please not park there and spend a minute walking from an appropriate space.
Police Scotland continue to encourage house holders to secure their property, outbuilding’s, vehicles and property of value at all times, in an effort to prevent opportunist thefts that continue within the Formartine area. Opportunist thieves continue to target the Aberdeenshire area and favour insecure dwellings and vehicles.
Residents of the council area should be reminded that it is vital they take measurements to secure their own property. Recently in Aberdeenshire there has been another spate of car thefts by perpetrators who are seeking out insecure should contact Police Scotland on 101 or 999.
RL raised a concern regarding double parking on Queens Street and Castlehill. It seems that trucks making deliveries are forced to double park as spaces allocated for 45 minute parking appear to be used by drivers parking all day rather than the time allocated. Concerns are that this will be a cause of a future accident. The matter has been raised with Police Scotland by one of the shop owners, however they were informed that it was a Council issue not a Police matter. PC Drennan confirmed that for Aberdeenshire Police and Council have the jurisdiction to allocate parking notices if a crime is/has been committed. In these matters, please report them to Police on 101 and if an available unit is available they will attend to the scene.
The ongoing issue regarding the cars being parked down at the Sports Centre and near homes in the area opposite the Caravan park is still ongoing. 14 day notices were placed on vehicles which appear to have now been removed. Concerned residents have noted that many of the vehicles are parked without the appropriate documentation (no valid insurance, tax or MOT). PC Drennan will take this back to review more thoroughly.
A local resident attended the meeting and raised the matter of antisocial driving. PC Drennan advised that Turriff Officers are aware of the situation. Recently there have been pressing issues within the community for the Police to address however, they have been vigilant regarding the anti-social driving. Residents are encouraged to report any license registrations and incidents to Police Scotland on 101.
George and Cally Wight attended the meeting to present their proposal of Turriff Book Festival from Wednesday 23rd November to Sunday 27th November, 2016. The book festival would co-incide with the centenary of The Deveron Press. George and Cally desperately seek funding or assistance to create this festival, assistance on spreading the word, funding or venues available for free and support from all in the local community. If anyone is able to assist them in this please contact Cally Wight on 07552 304713 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Approval of Minutes of last meeting
Minutes from the previous meeting on 7th March, 2016 were distributed for consideration and approved. Raised by JS and seconded by DS.
5. Matters Arising
9a) Turriff Care Home: RL advised that the minutes are outstanding for the Care of Turriff Meeting which she was unable to attend. It appears that the building is still not secure and that children are able to access the property. Again it is urged for Four Seasons to take appropriate action to secure the building.
9b) Den Development: RL previously advised that the Minutes from the Den Development Meeting which took place on 10th November 2015 at Turriff Academy with Mark Mitchell are still outstanding. Elaine Brown updated the Committee and advised that Mark Mitchell has since taken up a new appointment. The new person to post, Donna McDonald, will action this request once in post. A new meeting has been scheduled for 28th March, 2016 for 2pm at Turriff Academy. RL will await Minutes as above.
12c) Skate Park: RL advised that the park reopened, however part of this is now closed as it is requiring maintenance following flood damage. RL urged that this work is carried out for the community to enjoy the skate park in the holidays. RL advised that the TASC group held a fundraiser on Friday night organized by the youngsters with a tuck-shop and music/disco. This saw them raise £140 on the night and they look to hold a coffee morning in the near future to boost their fundraising
12d) Community Council Constitution: Currently under review through Scheme of Establishments for Community Councils. DS advised that no further information has been advised from Aberdeenshire Council.
a) Turriff Boating Pond – 2016 Season: Work is underway to prepare the Boating Pond for the new season and have it up and running for May Day celebrations.
13b) In March enquiry was raised regarding the remit of waste operatives of Aberdeenshire Council. “…domestic waste bins are being emptied on occasion items may fall out of bins.” AS “asked if the operatives are to pick this up or is it the responsibly of residents?” AN advised that it is the responsibility of residents to clean this up. Point closed.
AN advised the Committee of the sad news of the sudden passing of John Smith, Waste Operative in Turriff. AN reminded the Committee that a letter was sent from Stephen Palmer commending the service and attendance given by the operatives of Turriff. Thoughts go out to Mr Smiths family at this sad time.
6. Treasurers Report
JS circulated the financial report for this month.
JS also circulated year to date accounts from 1st June 2015 to 31st May, 2016.
JS advised that the Men’s Shed bank account has opened and that all funds TDCC held have been transferred. This section is now closed in the reports.
£50 donation was received from Turriff Jewellers from their 5p charge fund.
Annual insurance notification had been received for the Community Council. In March meeting it was reported that this was to be paid, however following notification from Council it was advised that the premium is paid from grant monies allocated, therefore the premium has been paid. JS asked if it was possible to find out what the premium paid was so that he had an accurate figure for the grant awarded. DS agreed to provide this to JS.
AS asked that the accounts be amended to show that it was Aileen Findlay, Beauty Rooms which donated £500 and that the British Legion £200 on the Christmas Fund report as at present the accounts show this the wrong way around. JS agreed.
DS advised that all correspondence had been distributed via email. RL asked if there were any comments or action on this. Nothing to action..
8. Planning & Infrastructure
MR advised that the Local Development Plan had been received showcases building plots, the new and future proposals.
AN confirmed that the sod cutting for the new school would take place on 13th May, 2016.
9. Local Issues
In March meeting a local resident requested if it was at all possible to ask if speed bumps be erected in High Street carpark. This request will be sent to Aberdeenshire Council (Roads) for their consideration. Elaine Brown advised that this had been proposed to residents in the last two years and was declined. Unfortunately the money that had been proposed has now been spent.
MR advised that My Turriff had received a concern regarding the large cannon type noise which has been heard on the hour every hour. It appears to be a bird frightener. MR advised that if any further complaints are received he will contact Woodhead Brothers.
AS enquired about the plans for development to Errol Court. Are these located in Turriff for review or just in Ellon? It was confirmed that planning attend Towie House on the first Wednesday of every month however all plans are also available to view online on www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk website.
10. Affiliated Groups – Reports
a) Turriff Town Pride Group – JS advised that companies are being contacted for support for hanging baskets. Volunteers welcomed to assist with planting the 120 tubs around Turriff area. .
b) Christmas Light Switch on Committee – AS advised that a meeting will take place in May to commence planning for 2016 switch on date of this to be confirmed. AS thanks Turriff Jewellers for their kind donation of £50 from their 5p bag charge fund.
c) Turriff Caravan Park Ltd – RL confirmed that the site opened on 18th March, 2016 and has been busy.
d) Turriff Boating Pond – See above previously discussed in Minute.
e) Turriff Town House Association – JS advised that CAT application was considered at Formartine Area Committee Meeting on 22nd March, 2016. JS confirmed the decision was declined and an appeal can be made within 28 days for review by Council and a decision would be made at that meeting on 9th June, 2016. RL and JS to meet with Elaine Brown on Thursday to discuss the appeal.
Elaine Brown took the opportunity to inform the Committee on the process and should the appeal be declined the Town House are permitted, as our other groups, to apply to use the Town House by way of application. In addition, if Aberdeenshire Council deemsit appropriate to sell the building and put the proceeds of that sale to the Common Good Fund this is also an option. A resident at the Community Council meeting voiced how disappointed they were at this decision and it appears that Turriff again is losing out based on decisions being made by the Council.
f) Turriff Market – RL advised that there was still no contact from Charlie Bruce regarding the Turriff Market despite a number of attempts. MR updated Elaine Brown on the situation and Elaine offered to try to contact Mr Bruce further. RL asked Elaine Brown if there was a timescale for which the £1380 given to the Turriff Market was to be spent.
Elaine Brown confirmed there was not and enquired to the whereabouts of the stalls purchased with the said funds. RL confirmed that there were safely stored and were in the markets possession.
11. Public Events
a) ATC are hosting a coffee morning
b) May Day takes place on 2nd May, 2016
12. Corporate Communications
Nothing to report.
13. Any Other Competent Business
DS advised that details have been received for the process of applying for the Town Orderly grant of £1000. It was agreed to contact Turriff Academy for volunteers. DS to action.
RL updated the committee that the Haughs/Den toilets have closed. Elaine Brown confirmed that the decision was made that the toilets in Turriff were underused and closure of the facilities made. RL asked if a sign could be put up directing people where the nearest toilet is. Elaine Brown confirmed that it was deemed that there was enough toilets within that area and that members of the public were encouraged to use the facilities located in the Sports Centre. DS questioned if the facilities can be reopened for May Day and Turriff Show. Elaine Brown confirmed that she would ask the question.
A resident attending the meeting asked Elaine Brown when the decision was made to close the facility and how this decision was made? Elaine Brown did not comment. In addition, the toilets in the High Street have removed the 20p charge and are now free. RL requested that signs be updated appropriately. This decision came as a surprise to many at the Committee and many voiced a concern at the lack of communication from Aberdeenshire Council on this decision.
DS advised that a closing date required to be set for the election of members to the Turriff and District Community Council. It was proposed to be 11/12th May. It was confirmed that there are vacancies available for the Turriff and District Community Council and applications are welcomed by anyone who wishes to join the Committee. The AGM will take place on 6thJune, 2016.
DS advised that Rose Logan, Darren Park and possibly Annette Stephen would be required to reapply. Sandra Gray and Carol Allan would be required to apply as they were co-opted members.
DS requested that work be continued for the defibrillator objective to Turriff. Elaine Brown advised the Committee on the current policy and would provide DS with details on who to contact from Scottish Ambulance Service to establish the best place for the defibrillator to be stationed. Elaine Brown confirmed that a policy would be required with TDCC and SAS for the machine and then a separate policy in place between TDCC and Aberdeenshire Council should it be necessary to fix the machine to an Aberdeenshire Council building.
Aberdeenshire Councils policy for this states that they would pay for the trickle charge of electricity to the box however the box and maintenance etc would be met by the TDCC.
Elaine Brown advised that she was attending the meeting to introduce herself and to express that there is a current project in place to commence Resilience Planning. Following events in January, it is Aberdeenshire Councils aim to set up a team who is able to meet the demands of the Community in a crisis. For example who would have keys, could host people affected by flooding and so forth. Elaine welcomed TDCC involvement and anyone who feels they could assist are welcomed to contact her if its felt that Turriff require this.
AS asked if there was any further update on the Square Development? RL advised that it was understood that the monies allocated were to be spent by 31st March, 2016 however nothing further had come back from the Brian Shand.
AS enquired who to contact should there be damage to roads within Turriff. Recently noteda huge pothole around 13 Balmellie Place. It was suggested that the number to contact is 0845 608 1205 Elaine Brown to confirm.
14. Dates of future meetings
It was agreed that the next meeting would take place on: Monday 9 Town House (Municipal Building) at 7pm.
Subsequent meetings are to be held on: Monday 6th June, 2016 (AGM)
Meeting closed at 20:52